Sunday, June 28, 2009

Cramping My Style

One of the things I've really been making an effort to do since breaking up with the bf/moving home has been to get out and do new things and meet new people. I was ridiculously anti-social for the duration of my last relationship, and I came out of it feeling very much like I had no friends and no life and a little lost because of it.

Since the kickball season started in mid-May, my social schedule has picked up enormously, thanks in large part to 2 good friends on the team. They're both wonderful about keeping me filled in on the latest plans and prodding me to get out and join them when I'm feeling like just staying in. One of them managed to get me out all weekend this weekend, and he wasn't even in town until Saturday night!

Friday night was the kickball Mid Season Party. Our team had a pretty sad showing, but those of us who were there consumed plenty of free beer and stayed out til about 1:30. I woke up at 8:30 on Saturday (damn you, work schedule) and got up and moving. I met up with some of the same guys from the night before at a pool party around 2 and proceeded to drink all.day.long. In the sun. I showed up at home at about 7pm, still pretty drunk, with the plan to clean up, take a quick nap, and go back out, this time with the addition of my Friendship Broker, who had just returned from out of town.

I showered and then laid down to pass the fuck out. For about twenty minutes. At which point the guys called and said it was time to get moving, we were gearing up for round 2. By the time I got dressed and to their house, I was maybe 90% sober and really not sure who the hell I thought I was, that I was going to keep drinking after the day I'd had. But rally I did, and when 2am rolled around and they were throwing us out of the bar, I was like "Really? It doesn't even seem that late!" So then I went back to my friends' house and proceeded to stay up til 5am talking and watching movies on TV.

So I spent 2 nights on friends' couches and drank more beer than I usually consume in, oh I don't know, months. I slept less than 8 hours between the 2 nights and still managed to make it through most of today. My favorite part, though was when I got the lecture about driving home from the pool not entirely sober. Wherein my dad proceeded to tell me, after I pointed out that he was a GINORMOUS hypocrite, that he was allowed to do it because he's had 40 years of practice. Well Daddy, we've all go to start somewhere!

Going out and being a twenty-something is a lot harder when your parents can see the aftermath. I came home twice in what I left in the night before and I didn't even hook up. Because who's going to drive you to your parents' house, drunk, in the middle of the night? All I have to say is, my friends are saints, and I appreciate all the future nights they'll be letting me spend on their couches and the basketball shorts and tshirts they'll be loaning me to sleep in. And this young and single thing? It's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment